Tile or Laminate Flooring?
One of the biggest decisions of any kitchen, bathroom, or home remodeling project is choosing the new flooring material for your space. Homeowners often get torn between choosing tile or laminate floors. Although they can have a similar appearance, there are significant differences in how they need to be maintained, as well as their durability. Here the professionals at Tiles Gone Wild have outlined the differences to help you choose the best option for your home!
Benefits of Laminate Floors
Laminate flooring has many benefits and is a great option for many homes. The benefits of laminate floors include:
- Fast & easy to install
- Cheaper than tile or hardwood
- Appearance can mimic stone, tile, or hardwood
- Similar in appearance to tile
- Temperature stays consistent
- Newer styles are mostly water-resistant
Downsides to Laminate
Although it has many benefits, laminate flooring also has its downsides. The downsides to laminate floors include:
- Not completely water-resistant
- Does not add value to the home
- Not as durable as tile; softer surface susceptible to scratches
Benefits of Tile
Tile flooring is often considered the best choice for kitchens, bathrooms, entryways, and more. Here are some of the benefits:
- Resistant to standing water
- Rarely scratches or stains
- Variety of styles, textures, colors, etc.
- Increases resale value of the home
- Has the option of a heated floor
Downsides to Tile
- Grout can discolor over time & requires maintenance
- Can get cold to the touch with temperature changes
- Can be pricier to purchase & install
Choosing the Right Option
Tile & laminate floors are both great options depending on what benefits you are looking for and your home’s traffic level & general lifestyle. Tile is often the best option for pet owners because it is fully resistant to scratches from claws as well as water-resistant. Laminate is often a good choice because it is a lower-cost option. If you’re not sure which tile material is the best for your remodel, contact the team at Tiles Gone Wild to discuss your options!